The system is a real-time, adaptive traffic control system (or the Internet of Smart Intersections, in the sense of Smart IoT) that optimally schedules dynamic traffic flows in complex urban road networks, by integrating traffic theory with artificial intelligence (AI).
- X.-F. Xie, et al. Smart and Scalable Urban Signal Networks: Methods and Systems for Adaptive Traffic Signal Control. U.S. Patent, No. 9,159,229, 2015.
As the lead inventor of the system, Dr. Xie has created the core control engine (the brain) of the system, including schedule-driven intersection control (SchIC) and decentralized coordination mechanisms. He has also designed and realized all strengthening strategies of the system to enable its real-world operations.
Some extended work also includes: multi-modal urban traffic control (integrated with machine learning and computer vision techniques), integration with decentralized route choice framework, vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) communication with connected vehicles, and data-driven traffic management.
– Deployed the initial smart traffic lights for a road network of nine intersections in the East Liberty neighborhood, Pittsburgh, PA. The initial system has been running since June 2012.
– Expanded the smart traffic signals further to include nine more intersections in the Bakery Square region, Pittsburgh, PA. The expanded system has been running since October 2013.
|% Improvement||Travel Time||Speed||# of Stops||Wait Time||Emissions|
This work has been broadly reported in media and news since its successful deployments in the real world.
- X.-F. Xie, S. Smith, T.-W. Chen, G. Barlow. Real-time traffic control for sustainable urban living. IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), Qingdao, China, 2014: 1863-1868. [DOI]
- X.-F. Xie, Y. Feng, S. Smith, K. L. Head. Unified route choice framework: Specification and application to urban traffic control. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2014, 2466: 105-113. [DOI]
- X.-F. Xie, S. Smith, G. Barlow, T.-W. Chen. Coping with real-world challenges in real-time urban traffic control. Transportation Research Board (TRB) Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, USA, 2014.
- X.-F. Xie, et al. Schedule-driven coordination for real-time traffic network control. International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS), Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2012: 323-331.
- X.-F. Xie, et al. Coordinated look-ahead scheduling for real-time traffic signal control. International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS), Valencia, Spain, 2012: 1271-1272. [DOI]
- X.-F. Xie, S. Smith, L. Lu, G. Barlow. Schedule-driven intersection control. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 2012, 24: 168-189. [DOI]
- X.-F. Xie, et al. Platoon-based self-scheduling for real-time traffic signal control. IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), Washington, DC, USA, 2011, 879-884. [DOI]
- Supported in part by the Robotics Institute, with support from the Heinz Endowments, the Hillman Foundation, and the R. K. Mellon Foundation.